The Power of Rest and Honoring Yourself: A Guide to Holiday Preservation and Everyday Life
Choosing to rest and honor yourself can feel like a radical act. This is especially true during the holiday season, a time often marked by bustling schedules, family gatherings, and societal expectations. But the truth is, rest and self-preservation are not indulgences; they are necessities. The ability to listen to your inner voice and honor your needs is one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, not just during the holidays but every single day.
This past Christmas, I made a decision that was both deeply personal and profoundly healing: I chose to spend the holiday in the quiet company of myself. I wasn’t escaping from anyone or anything; I was choosing to connect with the stillness within me, the part of myself that so often gets drowned out in the noise of life. It wasn’t an easy decision—not because I doubted its value, but because I knew others might struggle to understand it.
When asked what my plans were, I gently explained that I wanted to spend time resting, reflecting, and simply being. Some responded with warmth and encouragement, saying, “Good for you. You deserve this time for yourself.” Others, however, were less understanding, calling my decision selfish or toxic. Their words stung, and I found myself questioning my choice. But as I sat in the stillness of that Christmas day, surrounded by my own love and God’s presence, I realized something powerful: honoring myself wasn’t selfish; it was necessary.
Rest is not just about sleep or physical relaxation; it is about creating space to breathe, to reflect, and to reconnect with your soul. In choosing rest, I gave myself permission to heal from the exhaustion of life’s battles. I gave myself room to feel, to grieve, to love, and to hope. And in doing so, I found a peace that transcended the opinions of others.
This lesson isn’t limited to the holidays. In everyday life, there are countless moments when the world pulls us in a thousand directions, urging us to prioritize everything and everyone but ourselves. But what if we paused? What if we chose to honor our needs, even if it meant disappointing others? What if we treated rest not as a luxury, but as a sacred act of self-love?
Honoring yourself is not about shutting the world out; it is about creating a foundation of peace within you so that you can show up authentically for others. It’s about recognizing that your worth is not tied to how much you do or how many people you please. It’s about embracing the truth that you are deserving of care, love, and rest simply because you exist.
If you’ve ever felt guilty for taking time for yourself, know this: your well-being matters. Rest is not selfish; it is restorative. By honoring yourself, you set a powerful example for others. You show them that it’s okay to step back, to say no, and to prioritize what truly matters. You teach them that self-love is not only valid but vital.
So whether it’s the holiday season or an ordinary day, remember this: you are worthy of rest. You are deserving of moments that nurture your soul and fill your heart with peace. Honor yourself, not just for a day, but as a way of life. The world will adjust, and you will find a strength and serenity that can’t be shaken. Rest is not an escape; it is a return to yourself. And in that stillness, you will discover the beauty of who you truly are.

Comments
Post a Comment
Stay Alive. You are loved. You are wanted. You are needed. Keep going. I believe in You. love you, Desert Rose.